At All West, we know how much our customers rely on our high-speed broadband but what do you do if your internet is running slow or not working at all? Here are three simple steps you can take to troubleshoot your internet connection before calling All West.
First: Check for an outage or scheduled maintenance
Check the All West scheduled maintenance and outage page to see if there is an outage in your area.
Second: Run a speed test
You can learn about how to run a speed test by clicking here.
Other things that may affect your speed test:
- Run the speed test over a wired connection directly to your modem. Performance over a Wi-Fi network is greatly impacted by several factors not in All West’s control. Try connecting directly to the modem before running your speed test.
- Multiple devices on the same connection in your household could affect the reading. Try to run the test at a time when the only running device is the computer you are using to run the test.
- Run the speed test at different times of the day. If you test during the hours with the highest network traffic, there is no way to guarantee your speed unless you subscribe to a dedicated connection.
- What is the age of your computer? Just like all technology, computers and equipment advance at a rapid pace. It is possible that if you use an older computer, it will be unable to fully utilize the speeds delivered over your internet connection.
- Make sure all programs are closed on your computer before running the test. If any programs were running when you ran the first test, shut down all programs and run the speed test again to see if it affects your results.
- Re-start your device to ensure an accurate reading. Try to run the speed test right after restarting your computer or check your Task Manager to shut down any active processes before running the test.
- If you have a firewall installed on your computer, it could affect the reading. Close your firewall temporarily while you run the speed test and turn it back on when you finish.
- Virus and malware could also impede your computer from running at full speed. Be sure that you keep your computer protected from these malicious programs by installing virus and malware protection.
The speed test mimics your online activity to give you an approximation of your upload speeds and download speeds. While the test is not 100% accurate, it will provide you with a very close approximation. Our internet speeds go "up to" the plan you purchased, so know that while your speed won't be exact, it should be pretty close to what you're paying for. If your speed does not accurately reflect that, please contact us.
Third: Reboot your router
To reboot your router simply unplug it from the power source (you can remove the power cord from the outlet or from the power port on the back of the router) and wait ten seconds. A reboot does not change your settings. Rebooting a device is the same thing as restarting it, giving it the break, it may require while saving all your configured settings.
To avoid these inopportune internet blips, you can proactively reboot your router monthly so you can sit back and enjoy your favorite show or continue to work from home without any interruptions!
It may be time for an upgrade if you find yourself rebooting your router too often. All West has the solution for you: Plume SuperPods. The elegantly designed pods plug directly into your wall and offer so much more than your regular router. Learn more about How to Maximize Your Internet Speed with Plume.
Other things that may be slowing down your internet:
- Something as simple as where you put your router can make a big difference in your Wi-Fi signal can affect your Wi-Fi signal. Learn more about router placement.
- Sometimes walls, appliances, and bulky furniture can get in the way of your Wi-Fi signal. Learn more about how Wi-Fi extenders and how the Plume SuperPod System can extend your Wi-Fi and so much more.
- You might not have the right internet speed for your home’s needs. Read more about how to find out what speed is right for you.
If these three steps don't resolve your internet connection, please give us a call at 866.255.9378 or stop into any of our offices Monday-Friday 8:30 am - 5:30 pm.